[bf1942] the pure / unpure server issue - need clarification

--=*dD*|Campino=-- campino at divine-devils.de
Tue Jun 3 21:39:49 EDT 2003

Hello Kenneth,

Wednesday, June 4, 2003, 4:27:25 AM, you wrote:

KP> I'm wondering about the init.con thing. That's a text config file and I
KP> suspect it's not part of the CRC checking, just as, say, the video config file
KP> wouldn't be. I'd expect that only the binary files get checked. But the list
KP> of files to check would be gated by the contents of the config files, so if
KP> they requested the loading of additional binary files not included in the CRC
KP> list, the CRC check would fail.

I think that the init.con HAS TO BE checked as it is the place to load
modifications. If it won't get checked it's easy for people loading
"hacks" and "cheats" that aren't in the BF directory....

KP> BTW, when does the check happen, and is it of the files or of the memory they
KP> occupy? Is anything being done to periodically verify the integrity of memory,
KP> to protect the client from "live patch" programs?

The files should get checked periodically during a map to prevent people
installing "hacks" and "cheats" AFTER they connectet to a specific
server
--
Greetz,
--=*dD*|Campino=--