Performance/setup questions

Daniel Malmgren danielmalmgren at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 26 13:47:17 EST 2003

My setup:

Server Computer:
Linux Mandrake 9.0 Power Pack (pretty much everything installed)
AMD XP 1000 Mhz
256 DDR Ram
Using Static Network IP.

Home Computer:
Windows computer (BF 1942 the game, etc)

Using a Linksys BEFSR41 v2.0 Router to share the cable conx and have set all the particular ports to Forward to the Linux Computer.  I am experimenting with both DMZ and just port forwarding. I figure forwarding the ports is more secure than just plopping it out on the net with a DMZ forward.

I am running the bf1942 Server on the Linux server.  Running using Konsole (Super User Mode) Terminal with /root permission.

Used GNOME SYSTEM MONITOR to view the processes and set BF1942 to a higher priority (still needs tweaking if I set it to -20 everyone ping seems to go through the roof...)

I have a lot of processes running though which seem to soak up what Ram I have. Since I installed basically all the software, I think I have things like Apache and some other things starting up when I boot the computer and no idea how to stop from booting up.  Using KDE desktop which sucks up most of the RAM as well.  Not sure what the best setup for this is.  Any suggestions?  Anybody have there's running nice and smooth?  Not sure if I can start up without KDE cause I'm not sure if my eth0 drivers and config will start up if I start-up into a command line, plus since I'm a total n00b to Linux it's going to take me a while to learn the commands lol (at least the cd command works on Linux :) )

Also, even though I forwarded all the ports relating to GameSpy I still can't see the server in the BF1942 server listings, which is strange because when I set the server up with the same settings on my Windows computer it shows up right away with the same forwards. Hmmmm...

Ports being Forwarded:

14567 - 14570    TCP/UDP
22000                TCP/UDP
23000 - 23009    TCP/UDP
27900                TCP/UDP
28900                TCP/UDP
29900 - 29901    TCP/UDP
13139                TCP/UDP
6500 - 6515        TCP/UDP

Covered all the bases here....

Anything that pops out to people about performance and how to tweak this thing to get a better setup?  I'm sure some of this might have been answered before but not sure if my setup is the same as other peoples.  The server does work and have had friends connect by "add server" and using my Internet IP.  There is also a wierd input lag when running this thing at a -20 priority, but only occurs for some actions like entering and exiting a vehicle. I can also connect to the server via the network IP (static comp's) or via the Internet IP (Router's) as well though there is no performance gain for either (still get 40 ping from 3 feet away!). Any ideas or advice is welcome.  Thanks guys and gals.

Daniel