AW: [bf1942] Resource consumption

Daniel E. Atencio Psille dea at atencio.de
Fri Jan 24 05:45:43 EST 2003

... But be careful using ntop, because ntop switches the NIC you're
monitoring into promiscuous mode which can lead to "unwanted misbehaviour"
;/ Although there's a switch to tell ntop not to use promiscuous mode (as
far as I remember it was --no-promiscuous), ist use won't stop ntop to use
promiscous mode since it's not implemented yet.
I'm telleing you about this because my rented server crashed by using ntop.
This is/was because of a neat feature called "ROL" (Reset On Lan) used by my
provider ...
But apart from that, ntop really is great for monitoring servers, it offers
a huge lot of very usefull information and even statistics :) Plus you can
connect it to a database for further research based on ntop collected data
:))

dea

http://matureasskickers.net:3000/ to see some sample output.

For memory, you could run top with the M command (sort by memory) and the u
command (show processes for a specific user) to display just the bf server.
Then load some bots and users and see how the memory stats change.

I think there's a parameter in ServerSettings.con for that, but don't recall
off the top of my head.

> Last question, what distro of Linux is it being built on?

Don't know the answer to this but it's working fine on my Red Hat 8.0 box.