Resource consumption

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Thu Jan 23 21:22:46 EST 2003

--On Thursday, January 23, 2003 12:20 PM +0500 The Other Day
<theotherday at wetookyour.tv> wrote:

> Bandwidth required per user
> Memory required per user/bot
>
> Also, how to limit the bandwidth per user. For example, if I only
> want each player to use a certain ammount of k...

For measuring bandwidth, try ntop (http://ntop.org/). I just brought this
up on my system which runs a dozen Tribes2 servers and one BF1942 server,
plus web, forums, and FTP. It runs as a service and uses libpcap to monitor
packets, much like tcpdump. It provides a simple web server on a special
port (default 3000) to display its stats. Check out
http://matureasskickers.net:3000/ to see some sample output.

For memory, you could run top with the M command (sort by memory) and the u
command (show processes for a specific user) to display just the bf server.
Then load some bots and users and see how the memory stats change.

I think there's a parameter in ServerSettings.con for that, but don't
recall off the top of my head.

> Last question, what distro of Linux is it being built on?

Don't know the answer to this but it's working fine on my Red Hat 8.0 box.