New Build ... now w/ Bots.

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Sat Jan 18 17:41:45 EST 2003

This took about 18 years longer than it should have, but the darn bots no
longer sit in the corner of the map.

   http://icculus.org/betas/bf1942/bf1942-lnxded-betaupdate-build-1042921583.tar.bz2

md5sum of tarball: ddda3404717998bb095ae27ebfe99e9e

(PLEASE make sure you unpack this in the correct place!)

This build has the bots in COOP mode. It also has some (very) minor
networking tweaks, code to replace the 'STUB: menu chat thingey' message,
and a brute force attempt to close a ton of file handles on mapchange
(which should end the crashes caused by going through 10-20 mapchanges.
That we could make it through 10-20 mapchanges without a crash is good
news, though.  :)  ).

Warning: Using bots spams a LOT to stdout right now. A LOT. This will go
away in a later build with the rest of the debug output.

Remember also that the bot AI wasn't _REALLY_ getting used before (the
bots were always flagged as "dead" and as such, never spawned in the
first place), so while this got a thorough testing on my system (I even
set the ticket ratio above 3!), this is a large amount of code that never
got executed in previous builds...don't be shocked if there are crashbugs
to weed out.

Bots use a lot of CPU. Please don't complain about this.

The server is still single threaded, and still gives a 30+ ping on the LAN
(since it's doing network updates each tick...30 ticks per second. Do the
math). This will be corrected in a later build, either by returning to
threads, or doing packet handling outside of the server tick code. I am
aware of it.

Ok, everyone, please test. The bots were the last glaringly obvious
problem, so now I can focus on the less obvious problems (the crashes,
memory leaks, network desync, etc). If you had a stack trace you posted
before, please post it again for this build so we see where things stand
at this point.

Next build (assuming nothing really embarassing pops up tonight) will be
after LinuxWorld.

Thanks, y'all.

--ryan.