Linux BF Server Monitoring Project (Repost, sorry!)

kenk at shreve.net kenk at shreve.net
Mon Feb 17 18:52:05 EST 2003

Ugh... sorry about that bad subject line...

Hey guys,

   I am interested in monitoring a few of our Linux BF servers to see
what
kind of system works best and which maps hit the CPU hardest.  I wrote
this little perl program to periodically poll the server and system and
dump the results to a comma seperated file.  Programs can then be
written to parse this data (or just use a spreadsheet).

Here's what I have written so far:

  http://games.shreve.net/bf_mon.pl

You need to change a few things in the program to customize it, they are
documented internally.

This was written on and for a Redhat system, but should work on most
others.  It also requires QStat be installed.

I am kinda sketchy on the percent CPU value that the 'ps' command is
returning. It doesnt agree with what 'top' indicates so any assistance
with that would be appreciated.

Anyway, once you make the customizations, just cron it to run once every
5 minutes (or 10, whatever...). Cron another script you create to email
the resulting file to kenk at shreve.net and then remove the old file. It
will generate a new one automatically.

This is only going to work on systems that are running one BF server and
I would like to limit this to single CPU servers at this time. You are
of course free to modify it and use it for your own non-commercial
purposes. :)

I will make all collected data publicly available in addition to any
reports I generate from it.

-Ken

PS: This isnt my greatest perl ever, its just enough to get the job done.
Please feel free to submit enhancements.