[bf1942] min requirements

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Mon Feb 3 12:45:31 EST 2003

--On Monday, February 03, 2003 11:18 AM -0600 "charles \"wokka\" goldsmith"
<wokka at justfamily.org> wrote:

> I think it takes a beefier box on the linux server because its still
> beta and running debug code.  I'm sure that Ryan plans to optimize its
> performance after he gets it stable.

I believe this is related to the multi-threading issue. The multi-threading
has been disabled to rule out race conditions as a source for crashes. That
means that the program is doing more "spinning", running around looking for
things to do, instead of blocking in one of several threads waiting for
different kinds of events. I believe Ryan said that the original server had
3 threads, with one doing most of the work, one doing DNS lookups, and
another handling some other network activity. In principle, when completed,
the program should spend most of its time blocked on a select() call in all
threads, using very little CPU.