[bf1942] BF and wineX 3.1

Casey Zacek bfb-bf at bogleg.org
Fri Dec 19 20:49:24 EST 2003

What so many people (like Lee here apparently) don't understand is
that running a program that's written and compiled to run under
Windows, but running it under Wine/WineX is not the same as running
something under an emulator.

It *IS* running on its native platform.  All the hardware is exactly
the same.  The operating system might be different, but the software
running on it doesn't need to know that.

For pete's sake.. WINE itself stands for WINE Is Not an Emulator.

All it really is is a bunch of drop-in replacements for "OS"/"system"
calls that are translated to library calls by Wine[X].  Sure, they may
need tweaking to meet the same performance that Microsoft has put into
Windows, but that should be easy to understand, given the project's
age relative to the age of Windows (especially when you count "age" in
man-hours of development time).

ok that's my rant, bye :)

rony wrote (at Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 10:13:11AM +1100):
> Because it is much easier to run it in linux than to reboot into windows
> to play a game.  Well IMHO :-)  And the performance on a decent games
> machine is more than decent under winex.  It works fine on my laptap.
>
> On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 06:26, Lee Latham wrote:
> > Respectfully...really...WHY do you want to do this?  I can see doing it on
> > a lark but you are _never_ going to get the same performance under an
> > emulator as you will under the native platform, and modern games are very
> > resource intensive (bf1942 being the most intensive one so far that was
> > worth a damn).
> >
> > But spending time trying to get it right...madness!
> >
> > At 03:04 PM 11/13/2003 +0100, you wrote:
> > >Hi all!
> > >I'm new to this mailing list, is it only discussing server-stuff, or also
> > >client probs?
> > >Anyway, i hope this fits in here:
> > >Has anyone BF running under wineX really good ?
> > >I got it working, but quite poor...
> > >The Sound is working, but not really nice, dunno how to explain, it just
> > >sounds shabby.
> > >Also if I select Options->Graphics in the BF Main-Screen i can only select
> > >640x480 or 800x600 both in 32 or 16 bit.
> > >Another thing which is not nice is that in the Game, whan I'm on the ground
> > >there are several texturing-problems. The ground sometimes is black, etc...
> > >When I`m in the Air and look down everything is nice.
> > >
> > >Does someone know if i have to install the NVidia-Graphics-driver for windows
> > >in winex?
> > >
> > >Any suggestions from people who also (want to) play BF on a linux box?
> > >
> > >Thx in advance, Manni

> > Lee M. Latham
> > Vice Field Marshall Admiral Imperator Generalissimo of Sales and Support
> > (muy importante)
> > +1 (713) 977-4177 x.103
> > lee at cgmlarson.com

-- Casey Zacek (Zippo)                  Beer for Breakfast servers
   66.111.111.66:27015 (CS multi-map)     <http://bfb.bogleg.org/>
   66.111.111.66:27016 (CS inferno/dust2/aztec/militia) Dallas, TX
   66.111.111.66:14567 (BF1942)