[bf1942] Statically linked version to be dropped--licensing

Andreas Fredriksson andreas.fredriksson at dice.se
Tue Aug 5 08:01:50 EDT 2003

Ryan,

are you saying our backs are covered since users can "relink" by using
the dynamic version with another library?

If so I see no reason to not include the statically linked version in
the future as well.

For BF it's the other way around--we'd like to supply the dynamic
binary only because it is the most stable under any given platform
just for the reason you point out.

Linking in a c library under unix isn't a very good idea in the first
place but it was the only way I could achieve some degree of
compatibility with older distros.

I'll talk to management and legal here and see if they agree on this
interpretation.

Thanks for the input,
Andreas