[bf1942] Linux server status update 2003-04-28

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Wed Apr 30 03:16:11 EDT 2003

--On Tuesday, April 29, 2003 10:32 AM -0400 Sam Evans <sam at neuroflux.com>
wrote:

> Requiring .so / .dll for logging once again
> blows out developers who want to use a cross platform language.  Sorry,
> but I'm not gonna write two different C programs to run on Windows and
> Unix that perform the same function.

I'm confused. I've written DLL's for OS/2 and Windows, but haven't yet
tried my hand at a .so, so I'm not sure how different that is. Isn't it
just a hunk of code with named entrypoints? Can't the same source be
compiled in both environments, provided one uses API's available in both
environments like sockets and Posix file API's? The adventurous could even
write one that just forwards the BF42 logging API's to the Perl interpreter
using its embedding system, so one could then put the real "meat" in a Perl
script.

In any case, the idea is for Andreas to provide one shared logging library
that just logs to a file, and maybe a second one that does that but
compresses before writing.