[bf1942] Linux server status update 2003-04-28

Casey Zacek bfb-bf at bogleg.org
Tue Apr 29 13:58:13 EDT 2003

If I understand Andreas's implementation ideas correctly, it'd have
nothing really to do with Linux's aggressive caching, but rather
internal buffering by the compression routines.  You can't compress
text (very well) one character at a time, so the compression routines
would generally suck in several lines of text and compress them until
the point that its output buffer fills, at which point the output
buffer would be flushed to disk.  Once that buffer gets flushed, Linux
is free to cache it (and it will!), until the output stream is closed
(and thus automatically flushed to disk, one would hope).

So, the answer to the question of "where are the logs stored before
being compressed?" is "in the compression routine's buffers" because
it's not a situation of "write to logfile.  compress logfile." but
rather "write (compressed) to compressed logfile."

--
-- Casey Zacek (Zippo)                  Beer for Breakfast servers
   66.111.111.66:27015 (CS multi-map)     <http://bfb.bogleg.org/>