[bf1942] Linux server status update 2003-04-28

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Tue Apr 29 07:01:22 EDT 2003

--On Tuesday, April 29, 2003 8:20 PM +1000 David Harrison
<trogspam at games.telstra.com> wrote:

> I used to just use tail -f games.log | netcat <destination> to do the same
> thing in Quake 3 - had a few problems with its reliability if I recall
> correctly but with a bit of tweaking it might work fine.

I kept trying to pencil together a way to trick the server into writing
straight into a socket, thinking it was a file, but kept banging my head
against the need for Windows portability.

Anyone here monitor the SDL library list? How do they handle server logging?

One could take the shared library approach: The server invokes StartLog,
EndLog, and WriteLogEntry API's in a shared library. A stock library is
provided that just writes to a file. The admin can plug in his own library
that does more exotic things.