Linux server status report 2003-04-22

Fredriksson, Andreas andreas.fredriksson at dice.se
Tue Apr 22 06:49:19 EDT 2003

Hi people,

there have been easter holidays here in Sweden so this status report is one
day late. I hope you don't mind :-)

Now that you know that the next patch will be called 1.4 and that one of the
new things with it is a "Linux server"; let me clarify what this means.

We are going to release the 1.4 linux server at the same time as the win32
release--but it will still be beta software. We need the freedom to push
out updates more often than with the win32 stuff since our Linux version
hasn't seen the same amount of testing.

So in short, look forward to quick Linux fixes if and when it proves
necessary.

This is what I'm currently working on:

- Compatibility issues. I have a small lab here with a lot of linux distros
and
  we're probably going to ship both static and dynamic versions of the
binary.

  The dynamic binary works out of the box on Gentoo 1.4 and RH9, but
possibly also
  on other gcc3-based distros. The static binary also works on RH 7.3 for
example.

- Stability, especially w.r.t. AI/COOP mode. The COOP game modes can cause
server
  crashes sometimes because of non-portable constructs in the AI subsystems.
These
  are very hard to fix and are very sporadic in behaviour. I probably won't
have
  the time to fix them all before the 1.4 release so expect COOP to work but
have
  a few rough edges.

  I imagine the other game modes are the most important for internet servers
anyway.

Regards,
Andreas