AW: [bf1942] 1.4 and disablin mods????

Andrew von Niederhausern avonnied at genetics.utah.edu
Mon Apr 21 16:07:06 EDT 2003

But i don't see how this would elimate the client-side cheating.. this
would only secure the RFA's from extraction.. if a user wished to make a
client side cheat (textures or what not), he would also be able to make a
secure RFA and use it.. i don't really think the RFA security is the issue
here, its the ability to limit which RFA is being used to match that of the
server. (if i read this wrong please correct me)

granted this would be more of an issue of limiting the piggy back of cheats
with certain RFA's but by no means eliminates the core issue..

the other solution would be a better solution (in your previous email)
about trying to get DICE to sortof give them an unofficial expansion pack
status.. but then you run into the issue of everyone who makes a new skin
and wants to use it has to go through DICE to get this kindof approval..
wow talk about a headache waiting to happen.  this might be a viable
solution if you can convince DICE to do it and release periodic updates to
this. I would probably venture to say this would even be a headache for
MC/others.. each time they update their textures they would have to be run
through DICE approved, tested, released. but then ofcourse you run into
versioning problems. which version is the server running, which version do
you have installed.. getting those to sync up outside of the 3-4 month
cycle for patches could be a headache.

Maybe the solution is as simple as asking DICE to impliment an any and all
solution, valid RFA solution. where the server can have many different
RFA's for skins and what not. And the client can use any of these. If the
client has a texture set that the server does not then it reverts to the
standard. This would allow servers to pick RFA's (mods) that they approve
for use on their server.

Over time i imagine server packs being released with reviewed and approved
texture packs. this would also not put these texture packs in direct
competition with the major mods as the server would not be a strict MC mod.

either way the server side is the solution they are going with, to get
support from DICE/EA for it.. it would have to be an easy solution. I doubt
they would put a lot of effort and money into something just for the few
client side mods. It is a trade off and i image that the DICE/EA team had
extensive arguements about the Pros and Cons of it. In the end their
solution was this and the trade off, in their opinion, was worth it.