[bf1942] Linux server status report 2003-04-09

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Wed Apr 9 12:38:37 EDT 2003

--On Wednesday, April 09, 2003 11:25 AM -0400 Nephar <nephar at skullz.net>
wrote:

> With the code working for both Windows and Linux in the same
> code base, all future servers will be released at the same time!  We
> will get to update our servers the same day that the clients can
> download their updates.

While the second part is certainly true, the first may be overly
pessimistic. ;) There's no need to release a new client or Windows server
to fix bugs in the Linux codebase, or vice versa, as long as the version
check is sufficiently coarse and the change doesn't affect the wire
protocol or the peer's logic.

That said, I agree that Dice should push forward to 1.4 and fix any
outstanding bugs in that branch instead of trying to retrofit fixes into
the 1.31 branch. It sounds like 1.31 won't be in play that much longer and
that 1.4 is imminent.