[bf1942] Why Linux?

Nephar nephar at skullz.net
Mon Apr 7 15:16:25 EDT 2003

A good argument... However, here are a few things that drive my
theory....

1.  One reason Half-Life has done so well is because of its FREE mods
(like CS as you have pointed out).  Already, BF has SEVERAL FEE mods
available (Desert Combat is one VERY popular one) with MORE to come.

2.  CS has a huge advantage in that is has been around for YEARS!  Yes,
it is "mega-rooted".  It is after all, how many years old?

I don't think that Half-Life mods will rule the world Forever.  Here is
my prediction...

IF DICE gets BF running well on Linux and continues to support he Linux
community...  IF DICE does NOT do something stupid like making their
Expansion Packs required to run new Mod's...  One and a half years from
now when the average computer power is greater and the average game geek
(myself included) want more than shoot'm up out of their game... THEN
you will see BF servers in the 20,000 number range.  By then, the game
will be $35, the number of quality Mods will be great, and the world
will be a better place.  :-)