AW: [bf1942] Why Linux? (OT: and very long...)

Martin Steiger martin at steigi.com
Mon Apr 7 15:13:51 EDT 2003

I completely agree with that! I rented my linux-server before I was thinking
about hosting a gameserver and I've never seen the same offer for windows
servers than I had it with Linux (129$ for a 2Ghz, 512MB RAM and 400GB
bandwith).

When Ryan was doing this list, at least we had some status updates and new
releases were every 30 days (no, I don't start flaming about DICE here...
:).

One thing that we have to keep in our mind is, that now there is a whole
company (or at least some people of them) working at this and they have a
reputation to loose. Since ryan did this only as a "spare-time-job" (hope,
this is the right word and hope, I understood this right on the list), we
weren't expecting a perfect release. (I assume) it wasn't a big problem for
ryan, to publish a new release and then we told him, what the bugs are
(nothing against you ryan, you really did a great job and I'm taking my hat
off!).

But now we're communicating with a company, that has to loose something and
I think, we have to understand, that they don't want "Beta-Builds"
distributed to the whole world (I wouldn't want it) and loose every
reputation they had.

A few weeks ago I started flaming about "I don't expect a working
linux-server anymore" and Andreas answered to that. I apologized for doing
this on the list and "complained" about not kept "beeing up to date"
anymore. And he answered a few hours later with an overall status to the
list.

Please, keep in mind that big companies are not used to communicate their
releases via a mailing list like this. Maybe they have a webpage and there
is the message "The linux server is done"... That's it! They don't
communicate to the whole world: "now we are doing this, next step will be
this"... That's not how they work...

But anyway, to keep it short (I know: I should have thought about this
before... :) I'm more than willing to wait for the first release from DICE
and I'm sure, they're doing a great work... Until then, let's try to help
all the linux-"noobs" (as I am) to answer their questions like "How do I
start the server.." (hell, that was my first question).. And if you don't
like these questions, just delete them... :)

Hope, you didn't get bored too much...

Regards,

Martin
proud member of this list since 19.1.2003, 1723 Emails... :)

PS: English it not my native language... Whoever finds some mistakes: you
can keep them...