[bf1942] Server Specs

john g-lists at cloned.org.uk
Mon Apr 7 13:45:10 EDT 2003

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Tom Talmage wrote:

> Well monthos seems to me to be very rude
>
> "i guess im just tired of seeing incapable people using this
>  list to get there servers setup so they can become the latest game server
>  hosting company that will fail in under a year."
>
> I say what a asshole, every one was new to linux at some point and some
> people may find it hard to get there head around a CLI new commands etc, Big
> change from GUI dont you think? The only reason im here is to get help of
> more advanced users like urself. I supposed you never ever had to ask for
> help have you?

The problem is, there is no way to be able to answer the original
question. It's very specific to the config on the box, and what else is
running at the time (hopefully very little).. The only way to really tell
is test it, and since (AIUI) this was originally setup as a 'developers'
list to help iron out bugs in what was very beta code.. if someone can't
work out if their server will handle what was asked, should they really
participate in such a user group? I'm not surprised of the flame, and not
trying to disuade people from posting, I'm just stating I understand where
the flame is coming from. Have no problem with helping other people with
problem, but lets use common sense, and try not to get people to predict
the future..

I barely read this list anymore because its direction has changed from
where it was originally.. same with other lists recently (notabily
hlds_linux if anyone else is subscribed to that).

john