[bf1942] Server performance

Anton Jansen gradius at fmf.nl
Mon Apr 7 10:14:39 EDT 2003

Hi,
> first the performance was bad with only 8 players. I tweaked the
> chokebandwidth and maxallowedconnection to 128. Now with 16 players,
> it's playable but on big maps or after playing a while it's gets more
> laggy than normal. I guess this is "normal" behaviour in this release?

Yes, it is :-(

> Also, is there a way to stop the debugmessages on the screen?
Yes, pipe the output to /dev/null so start the BF server as follows :

nohup ./bf1942_lnxded > /dev/null  2>&1 &

>They are
> totally useless to gameadmins and I suspect that disabling those
> messages will gain some performance (at least I hope it does).
Probarly they will not, there is no way to disable them, you can only get
rid of them.

>Are there any other performancetweaks known?

What seems to work is bringing down the total number of players and
restrict the time being played on the map. However, these are only minor
tweaks, the real problem lies in the server code, which DICE is fixing as
we speak. So be patienced and wait for a new release to solve some of
these problems.

Kind regards,

Anton Jansen