[bf1942] is this a normal amount of traffic for a BF server?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Thu Dec 19 19:21:05 EST 2002

> Ryan,  is there any consideration about reducing the server bandwidth?
> I   fear   that   currently   not  many  providers can afford (public)
> servers, at least not if they have no traffic flat.
> With   a   tremendous  traffic  useage like that, the BF42 server will
> never  reach   the  numbers  of  e.g. the Half-life servers (which do,
> IIRC, 2 GB _per day_).

Reducing server bandwidth would probably entail rewriting the networking
code and maybe other parts of the engine...but I haven't looked closely at
it, this is just an assumption about how things generally work.

This is something for DICE to do, not me...I imagine they are aware of
bandwidth usage and thinking of ways to reduce it.

--ryan.