weird setup crashes bf42 game client on w2k

Lee Thompson bm55b at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 13:14:33 EST 2002

This probably doesn't happen much because it is
probably an incorrect utilization of UDP but might as
well report it.  I'm no network engineer, but I play
one at home.

1) Boot up a linux bf42 server behind a firewall on a
non-routable network like 10.x.x.x or 192.168.1.x.  In
this case, lets say the game server is at 192.168.1.2,
port 14567
2) Set up a nat to the firewall for port 14567 so that
internet players can connect to the game.
3) On the same local LAN, fire up a w2k bf1492 client
and connect to the game using the inside 192.168.1.2
address.  Everything runs fine here.
4) Quit game and connect to the "outside" address as
nat'ed by the firewall.  Join into the game.
5) At the spawn in screen, select a spawn point and
wait to be spawned into the game.
6) Run around for a bit - in a few seconds the game
quits and you go back to the windows desktop.

work around is "don't do that..."

Its pretty weird that you can get as far as spawning
into the game.  TCP socket services like http, https
work find if the LAN computers use inside our outside
addresses.  This could be a UDP implementation problem
in my firewall?  Running a linksys befsr41 with up to
date firmware.  ftp://ftp.linksys.com/datasheet/befsr41ds.pdf