Fat pipes, development servers

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Thu Dec 12 18:21:50 EST 2002

--On Thursday, December 12, 2002 5:39 PM -0500 Zachary Williams
<admin at ztnet.com> wrote:

> $90 for 1.25 megabit?  Perhaps on a Cogent connection, but not on solid
> Tier1 bandwidth that will give good gameplay for people. :)

What's wrong with a Cogent connection? I've got a T2 server colo'd on a
Cogent connection and it seems to run nicely with 50 peeps (so far)
connected to it. Is there a problem I should be aware of?

> Granted, it's
> only a test connection, but we'd be perfectly willing to donate server
> space and bandwidth for public testing.  We're a dedicated gameserver
> provider, and would be more than willing to let the EA Linux Dev crew put
> up new patches, and open up the server to public pounding, prior to
> officially making a downloadable release.  In hopes that certain things
> can be caught prior to a mass release.

Sounds good. I was thinking about offering a shell account on my server for
live gdb debugging but I realized they might be reticent about leaving
their source code there. They might require a box to which they hold the
only keys, to keep the suits happy.