[bf1942] Multiple game servers on one host

Killing killing at barrysworld.com
Wed Dec 11 16:02:42 EST 2002

> "Not used by most people"? On what do you base that conclusion? I've found
> the system both intuitive and quite useful. Most Linux old-timers know that
> apps keep their settings in ~/.vendor/appname, and running each game server
> in its own mortal's sandbox is quite natural to any server admin.

Based on helping to run unrealadmin.org. You'd be supprised how may people
that catches out especially under linux FreeBSD emulation as some apps
put themselves under the compat tree others the main tree for the not so
experianced its a tad confusing.

> (Win2k and XP, when used on NTFS, also enforce this model, replacing
> "/home/username" with "/Documents and Settings/username/Application Data".
> Applications writing to "/Program Files" is a strict no-no on a server.)
>
> As long as the location of all customizations can be specified on the
> command line or in a config file specified on the command line, then the
> homedir system need not be used. As long as I can simultaneously run
> multiple versions of a server (so I can test a new version or a new beta
> alongside my regular server), each with different customizations, I'm
> happy. I'll still be running each as a separate mortal to protect them from
> each other. (On a server, paranoia is a Good Thing.)

Indeed all good in love and server running. I love the idea of a -configdir would
make thinks so much more easy. But if we had easy is there any point in living
:P

    Steve / K