[bf1942] My server has run but

Dan Beimborn bf at beimborn.com
Wed Dec 11 13:15:55 EST 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Gvendur wrote:
> There were few things I did before running the server.
>
> First I changed the ownership for my ServerSettings.con file to root and
> gave
> the user running the BF1942 server read-only rights to it. Any other way and
> the
> server would crash and overwrite the settings file making it unreadable to
> the server.

Hmm interesting, I was going to run a stack trace to see if it was
crashing due to permissions on the 2 subfolders within "Profiles".
I just tried chowning those dirs 0:0 and giving read permission to
the bf user I created.

Anyone with a client? I don't have one at the office, try a connect to
beimborn.com (nopass). I was able to hook up last night by myself, but
another guy joined and it died again, right about when we'd shoot at
each other. I noticed the cpu load goes up a bit when I'd blow something
up too.

As an aside (related to windows client!) I think the game's biggest
slowdown is the smoke effect.. my framerate drops from 70-90 to
10-20 when I'm in the chasecam behind a smoking tank. The SHerman's
normal exhuast graphics do that too. Any way to turn off or improve
the smoke effect? I'm using a gf4 ti4200/128 card with 41.09 drivers

DB