[armyops] Solution to PunkBuster Client Errors on Linux

Joe Eckstein eckstein at frontiernet.net
Tue Sep 2 12:21:09 EDT 2003

At 10:39 AM 9/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 10:36, Matthew Arnold wrote:
> > Alexander Winston wrote:
> >
> > > "Licensee understands and agrees that the information that may be
> > > inspected and reported by PunkBuster software includes, but is not
> > > limited to, devices and any files residing on the hard-drive and in the
> > > memory of the computer on which PunkBuster software is installed.
> >
> > Gadzooks! That's what I get for not reading the EULA. Is there any way
> > to get America's Army to function without Punk Buster? This clause in
> > the EULA is utterly and completely unacceptable.
> >
> > Matt

Even though you can't install it without punkbuster, there are servers
which don't require punkbuster software to be used, hence the 'enable
punkbuster' button in the deployment menus.

The only problem with this is achieving any gain in honor points while
playing americas army.  I don't think any official servers allow
non-punkbuster clients.

There are a couple encrypting filesystems available for linux, which would
solve the privacy issue, but would probably slow your computer considerably.