[armyops] Solution to PunkBuster Client Errors on Linux

Michael King tsal at monk.webintl.com
Tue Sep 2 13:49:40 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 11:21, Joe Eckstein wrote:
> At 10:39 AM 9/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:

> > > Gadzooks! That's what I get for not reading the EULA. Is there any way
> > > to get America's Army to function without Punk Buster? This clause in
> > > the EULA is utterly and completely unacceptable.
> > >
> > > Matt

[snip]

> There are a couple encrypting filesystems available for linux, which would
> solve the privacy issue, but would probably slow your computer considerably.

If you're not running the application as "root", there's not much they
can find out about your system if it's secured for local access in
addition to remote access.  Although, I am a bit perturbed that we are
required to secure our systems because of an anti-cheat software.  It
should only look at memory space of the user, and the files owned by the
user - and that's it... even that I have issues with.

--
Michael