[armyops] 1.7.0 audio...

Frank Earl fearl at airmail.net
Tue May 6 17:32:19 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 15:33, you wrote:

> Sure, it should be very possible to add support for > 2 channels in
> OpenAL, using ALSA or perhaps OSS. I am not up-to-date on these issues
> (in terms of what drivers support) and I only have a normal 2+1 setup
> myself.

It's my understanding that quite a few of the ALSA drivers support >2
channels and have hardware mixer support.  I've been looking at the code in
OpenAL and it looks like there was some small rudiments of 4 channel support
in the native drivers, but the SDL backend's support is strictly 2 channel
(SDL supports only mono and 2-channel stereo...).  And from skimming the
code, OpenAL on Linux appears to prefer the use of the SDL backend.  I could
be wrong, of course.  Since this is a wee-bit off-topic for this list, I'm
going to sideline this and take it up on the OpenAL list that I just
subscribed to.  If something comes of it before the beta's over, I'll
announce it to the list- I won't mind the lack of hardware acceleration as
much if at least the full software capabilities of the library are being
offered finally.

--
Frank Earl