[aquaria] SDL2 patches...

GMMan yukaili.geek at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 11:12:47 EDT 2013

My commit was to the CMakeList, so no problems using it for non-free
versions of Aquaria.

That said, I was thinking about a few things with regards to the open
source version of Aquaria:
1. On the Steam page, could there be an acknowledgement that the
engine is open source with an address to where one could get the
sources, if code from the open source repo is used?
2. I think the different code bases for Aquaria on different platforms
could be consolidated. Right now we have separate bases for PC, Steam,
iPad and Android versions, I'm sure each repo has great contributions
for each other, so why not consolidate them into one codebase where
everyone can work on it together? Right now my main concern is the
iPad/Android port. I'm not sure why it has to hide in a closed
codebase, since any significant code for Aquaria is already open
source. Having a rewritten and spiffed up engine is an asset for the
open source project. I know at least I and one other person here would
be interested into porting the game to other mobile platforms, and
having a proven GLES engine would make it much easier. I've contacted
Alec a couple of times, but never heard back about anything, so I'm
wondering what's the holdup.
3. For the Steam version, if the Steamworks components can be spliced
into a separate library, it could allow the actual game code to come
under open source territory. This would be beneficial as the codebase
would be more consistent (see above), and new code can be tested on
Steam without having to be the original developer to do so. I don't
know what Valve's policies are on this, but I've seen Unity 3D games
use a separate assembly for Steamworks related code, so if one had
access to the game's original source code, he could modify and
recompile without having to touch the Steamworks portion. Right now
Steamworks is used pretty much just for achievements, so having a
"dummy" local library for the open source version and another
Steamworks library for Steam would, in my opinion, work just fine.
--GMMan