[aquaria] [PATCH v2] Multi-Language support
false.genesis at googlemail.com
Sun May 20 08:06:35 EDT 2012
> Here is the second version of my multi-language patch to Aquaria.
> What is left to do for proper multi-language support is to also load some
> of the graphics and sounds this way so people can translate them as well. And
> of course the problem with the bitmap font only supporting 7-bit
> english letters
> must be solved one day, or we simply will load a locale specific font file...
There is a patch that localized the game to russian, but it is not
really *multi*-language-friendly. Attached for reference. Note that the
patch is a bit older and contains some other cruft which should totally
not be included, but has a few interesting points to consider:
- they use a localized font.glf file
- support font size scaling in glfont2 (not quite sure what and why they
are doing there - i can only assume their .glf file is screwed up somehow)
- Continuity::getIngredientTypeFromName() should better be externalized
into a file
- Some more hardcoded words/word fragments should go into stringbank.txt
- In the patch, there is a few adjustments to text positions. I have not
seen the russian version in action myself but if some localized texts
get in the way there should be a way to change this dynamically, too.
Things I found that i think could be done better:
- Using splitCamelCase() to create the ingredient names displayed
in-game is very ugly and should be replaced by something else - a
localized file aka ingredientnames.txt that has lines like this:
HotSoup Hot Soup
SmallEgg Small Egg
For english it might be unnecessary, but most other languages could
definitely make use of this.
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
More information about the aquaria