[aquaria] [patch] VFS support

False.Genesis false.genesis at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 13 14:16:37 EDT 2011

Hi,
added virtual file system support to aquaria - as a clean, experimental
patch.
Even with max. 7z compression they didnt fit under the mail size limit,
so here's the download links:
#1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22111385/Aquaria/vfs-prep.patch
#2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22111385/Aquaria/vfs-impl.patch

Made against code which has the other patches applied that were posted
on this mailing list in the meantime.
The first patch just moves around some (large) files without changing
them - the second patch then applies the changes (had to modify those in
order to add VFS support to them as well - FILE* simply can't do the
job, and they need access to the BBGE core).

The patch itself works (on win32 at least), but should not go into the
repo until i am absolutely sure it works for all. For now it does not do
much by itself; it's rather a preparation for my next set of changes,
which have yet to be cleaned up and wrapped in a patch:

- container files for a new demo (replacing molebox, which is also win32
only AFAIK) and easier distribution of mods
- real world maps in mods (could be done without it but is easier this way)
- new mod selector interface with in-game http downloader (needs
mounting of in-memory-files, and the container files patch above)
- the soft-patching mentioned earlier (totally depends on it)
- paths cleanup for linux, mac, vista+
- mods that can take control over ALL game data
- ...

Will do those when back from vacations, and fix the remaining bugs in
the VFS code once they pop up.
Thanks in advance for testing :)

Hope this has a chance to be applied, later. If there are reasons why
this isn't going in, let me know and i'll do my best to make it fit :)

-- fg