[aquaria] Is the project still alive?

Dustin Voss d_j_v at mac.com
Sun Apr 10 17:46:07 EDT 2011

That is how distributed version control works. None of us have permission to directly update to the icculous source code — nor should we, unless we work at Bit Blot — so we do our changes locally and send pull requests to Bit Blot (via this mailing list, I suppose).

Bit Blot then goes through our changes, vets them, and integrates them into the main source code. I am not sure how far along they are with that; I believe they have been working on it though.

What we, the contributing community, can do is:

1) Make our branches easy to integrate. That means making them directly off of the default icculous branch or other branches as much as possible. (Andrew Church, I am pointing you out as a bad example here. I have had to untangle a bunch of your patches from each other to use them in my own repo. I have named those cleaned-up branches "*/achurch”.)

2) Set up our own integration repository and a volunteer to integrate all these different patches, much like what Bit Blot is doing. However, this will effectively be a fork of Aquaria, since our volunteer will be making the editorial decisions that, right now, we are leaving to Bit Blot.

We have opted to do #1. I do not think anyone wants to completely fork Aquaria.