[aquaria] Aquaria port for OS4 PPC

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Wed Jun 16 15:16:25 EDT 2010

Andrea Palmatè wrote:
> Il 15/06/2010 4.06, Ryan C. Gordon ha scritto:
>>
>>> But there is a problem with textures since when the game starts
>>> nothing is displayed on the menu except for the shining circle mouse
>>> pointer and the aquaria version number. All is black and this seems a
>>> wrong texture loading (or blitting)
>>
>> I wonder if you have buggy framebuffer_object support.
>>
>> Go find ~/.Aquaria/preferences/usersettings.xml, and then
>> 'fbuffer="1"' in there...make that 1 a 0.
>>
>> Make sure you get the .xml file that the game writes to your home
>> directory on the first run. If you change the version that is in the
>> game's install dir, it won't do anything.
>
> There is something that is not working correctly.
> Look what i mean.
> Here there are two screenshots of the game:
>
> http://www.amigasoft.net/misc/games/aquaria.png
> http://www.amigasoft.net/misc/games/aquaria2.png
>
> the second one is the game that has started. If you see all is black. Is
> the same thing when i run the game and the menu should appear. I can
> click on elements. But all is black. But if i click on "Load Game" for
> example, the window that allow to load the game is shown correctly. same
> for the options window.
> I've also tried to compile it without BBGE_BUILD_FRAMEBUFFER but is the
> same.

I don't know, it could be a GL driver bug.

> that's strange.. i go out of memory after the BitBlot intro.. the system has 1-2MB of memory free and the game use ~450MB of RAM
> same for the video mem. My video card has 64Mb of video ram

Maybe I'm wrong about the memory requirements. To be sure, we're using
way more memory than the original FMOD version of the game, since we
fully decode all the .ogg files upfront instead of streaming them (well,
upfront as we need them, it doesn't decode all the audio in the game at
startup).

This is worth fixing, both to reduce memory usage, and also to avoid the
brief hitch you experience when a new piece of dialog is about to
play...but I don't know that it will be a significant reduction in
memory use. I just haven't profiled memory allocations at all.

The PSP patches, however, did some work to reduce memory usage a little,
and have the game sort-of running in a 52 megabyte block. So it's
possible to do it.

--ryan.