[aquaria] Sound issues with OpenAL

Mathieu Comandon strycore at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 13:37:46 EST 2010

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

>> I guess the corresponding bug in Launchpad regarding OpenAL would
>> be this one  :
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openal-soft/+bug/464556
>
> It's probably OpenAL-Soft misusing ALSA, or a buggy driver, or both.
> We just went through a lot of pain with SDL to get this to work
> well, and found a lot of longstanding, non-obvious bugs in our
> code...but also found some drivers for perfectly reasonable audio
> hardware just simply don't work well.
>
> The OpenAL shipping with Aquaria is a recent snapshot of
> OpenAL-Soft's Subversion repository...I'll have to dig into it. It
> might sense to just have OpenAL talk directly to that SDL code we
> just spent all that time debugging.
>
> --ryan.

Here's some update with the 2nd beta build. On my previous install
(Ubuntu 9.10 x64), Aquaria segfaults right after the loading progress
bar.
I installed Ubuntu 10.04 i386 and Aquaria worked just fine (I didn't
play long, just checked it wasn't segfaulting anymore). Then I wanted
to try Alien Arena 7.33 which didn't work on Karmic and also uses OpenAL.
Alien Arena doesn't ship with libopenal so I had to install it from
the repos. After fixing /etc/openal/alsoft.conf to use pulse audio, I
got Alien Arena working alright.

Then I wanted to test Aquaria some more. Bam. Segfault right after
it wasn't enough. I had to rm -r /etc/openal to get Aquaria working
again (I could have also purged the package).
I don't know what's wrong with Ubuntu's OpenAL since 9.10 but it's
clearly messed up... At least with my chipset.

Another thing, totally unrelated, after playing a while the
screensaver activated, crashing the game and forcing me to kill it in
a TTY to be able to use my machine again. I had to run
gnome-screensaver-command -i to keep the screensaver from going on to
be able to play.

Once I got that right (no openal package installed and screensaver
inhibited), Aquaria was running perfectly.

Could someone else on the mailing list confirm these bugs ?