[aquaria] Scenario colision detection issues in achurch.org hg/aquaria tip

Andrew Church achurch+aquaria at achurch.org
Fri Dec 31 04:29:59 EST 2010

>Found a weird bug, probably related to branch grid-render-optimization:
>
>Sometimes Naija ignores the rocks/stone doors.  Other times, she ignores
>the pilars and other scenery she should not go through (but not the
>walls).  It is easy to see in the energy temple, for example.
>
>Is there anything I could do to help diagnose and fix this?

If you have the time, try an hg bisect to locate the changeset that
introduced the bug.  In case you're not familiar with bisecting, what
you do is find a revision that doesn't have the bug (the icculus branch
is probably safe), call that revision GOODREV, and then:

hg bisect --reset
hg bisect --good GOODREV
hg update patched
hg bisect --bad

Mercurial will then update to another revision, so build that revision,
try it out, and run "hg bisect --good" (if it works) or "hg bisect --bad"
(if it has the bug).  Eventually Mercurial will print something like
"first bad changeset is 123456789abc", which is the ID of the changeset
that introduced the bug.  Let me know that changeset ID and I'll see
what I can do.

Just as a reminder, updating back and forth may cross the script
interface change boundary multiple times, so remember to replace the
*.lua files in the "scripts" subdirectory of your Aquaria install
directory with the contents of game_scripts/scripts in the specific
source tree you're testing.  (But don't just delete "scripts" in the
install directory, because it has some non-Lua files as well.)

>Attached is a savegame file which exibits the behaviour.

I couldn't reproduce the problem immediately.  Is there a specific
sequence of actions that triggers the bug, or a specific location in
the map where it occurs?  A screenshot would help, particularly in the
latter case.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/