[aquaria] Gamepad improvements

Andrew Church achurch+aquaria at achurch.org
Thu Aug 5 16:36:54 EDT 2010

>I think I have a better solution for the song menu, though. I've got it set up so that you can basically proceed along the inner and outer song rings by moving the joystick in the appropriate direction, and go between the rings by moving in that direction.

Sounds neat -- and good catch on the Energy Song issue, I'd missed that.

>You can open or close the combo box list by moving onto the combo box and pressing the button. Once you move onto the list, you can scroll up or down by moving to the top or bottom of the list. You can close the list without changing the selection by pressing the secondary button, but you have to select an item or close the list before you can move anywhere else.

That sounds good too, though my personal suggestion would be to drop the
"cancel" behavior entirely and make it so either button selects the current
item.  (I've found that if I only assign one button to the "confirm"
action, I tend to hit the wrong one a lot of the time; I think that may
stem from the fact that you use the primary button to select things in
menus, but the secondary button to select things during gameplay.  At the
moment, I'm thinking of adding an ACTION_MENUSELECT action which would
respond to either the primary or secondary button, to avoid that confusion.)

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/