[airstrike] Missile "Bonus"

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Thu Feb 16 11:52:41 EST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:07:31PM +0100, Ulf Ekström wrote:
> On 2/16/06, Erik Auerswald <auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de> wrote:
>
> We should make some system for targeting to
> that the missile can look for its own target, but that's for later.

Indeed, the missile ai could search e.g. a 90 degree cone in front of it
for a possible target, but right know I just want to get them working at
all.

> > The missiles are relatively harmless due to the weak engine and bad turn
> > radius, but IMHO this can be fine tuned later.
>
> They shouldn't be too good, I think, there should be some skill
> involved shooting the missiles as well as avoiding them. So it sounds
> nice.

I've just kept the values that already were in the code, they need to be
adjusted as it is easily possible for a biplane to fly faster than a
missile. These adjustments should wait until the rest of the game is
ready for release IMHO.

> I will test tonight.

You should do an svn update just before testing as I'm currently working
on the code. The ai needs to know about warping (I think I can do this)
and the missiles should be stabilized by the airstream, i.e. turn the
nose towards their heading. The lack of this is especially striking when
a missile runs out of fuel. Using the formula for biplanes stabilizes
the missile 90 degrees off of its course. To understand the formula and
apply it to missiles I need some time and ease.

Erik