[airstrike] Airstrike on mobile devices

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Tue Aug 1 07:36:24 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 01:50:39PM +0300, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> Has anybody tested Airstrike on anything else besides Desktop machines?
> (I think it has been run on Linux, NetBSD, Windows, OSX and Amiga)

I've onlz got a desktop machine...

> I've tested Airstrike briefly on N770 (http://nokia.com/770) and it seems to
> work just fine although it uses floating point calculations (N770 TI OMAP
> CPU doesn't have FPU).  I guess that's because >90% of CPU (on x86 which
> has FPU) is spent in SDL when playing Airstrike.

On a desktop machine most of the time is spent copying from memory to
the grafics card.

It's great that airstrike works on the N770. :-)

> However, there are a couple problems:
>
> * N770 controls could be a bit better, the "5-way rocker" is no replacement
>   for a joystick.  There's not much one could do about that.  I don't think
>   stylus control would work for Airstrike

The 5-way-rocker looks a lot like a gamepad, the buttons look to be
placed suboptimal, though.

> * Two players cannot use N770 at the same time.  There's no keyboard
>   (except through bluetooth, but that's not officially supported),
>   joysticks would require hub that powers them and the screen is physically
>   too small to be viewed simultanously by two persons comfortably while
>   playing. Currently Airstrike doesn't have (a useful) computer player and
>   programming a good one would be very hard given that the level files
>   can have any kinds and shapes of objects.  There are two solutions for
>    this, either:
>    - add network play to Airstrike (e.g. over WLAN), or
>    - make single player levels
>
> I think specific single player levels (in the required 800x480 size) are
> only realistic way.  Have you any good ideas for this?

Interesting single player levels would be nice, but I'm not good at
level design. :-(

Erik