[airstrike] dev-cpp support (networking)

Eero Tamminen eero.tamminen at netsonic.fi
Sun Aug 14 18:01:01 EDT 2005

On Sunday 14 August 2005 23:21, Ulf Ekström wrote:
> > > I think, that i can add net support for this project. I have little
> > > expirience with network programming under linux&windows and now learn
> > > SDL_net.
> >
> > What kind of an approach you've thought of?
> >
> > Peer-to-peer or client-server?
> >
> > You can transmit the game state across network on different levels,
> > simplest one is transmiting just:
> > - random seed
> > - the level name
> > - player interaction (key presses/joystick movements)
>
> I once did a little game which bounced all the keypresses off a
> central server. I think that can work if everyone is on the same LAN,
> but otherwise the lag will make it unplayabe (my guess). It would be
> fun to try, once single player is "finished".

Peer-to-peer local lan play could be had with a "net AI", maybe just by
adding implementation for following command line parameters:
	-seed <random seed>
	-ai [netin|netout]
	-connect <host>

And Airstrike would then connect the other instance at <host> and wait until
it had agreed with it on the random seed and level.  The Net AI would then
just transfer keys to the other end.

	- Eero

PS. Pavel, Airstrike includes it's own pseudo-random number generator so
that the random numbers generated with the same seed match at both ends.