[airstrike] Proximity triggers?

Ulf Ekström ulfek at ifm.liu.se
Sun May 2 15:40:15 EDT 2004

Hi! I got this message twice, so the list is working and you don't need
to CC mails.

> I was thinking that it would be nice if it would be possible to specify
> in level file "proximity triggers" for some of the objects.

Yes, definitely.

> Basically it would create a list of triggers (distance^2) for objects and it
> would each frame check each other (moving) sprites whether they are
> close enough to the triggerable object position.  If sprite is near enough,
> the triggerable object is given MSG_SPRITE with pointer to the moving
> sprite.

Nice. It could be quite easy to implement also. I was thinking about adding
"shape triggers", ie a mask which would detect collisions and send signals,
but your idea is simpler and much easier to use.

> I've already added a message like that for the "following" bonus.

Great!

> I've thought that the "snowballs" could be such that they make *no* damage,
> but they would have a lot of weight so that one can e.g. distract enemy by
> flying near one of the cannons. :-)
>
> Can the physics stuff have mech objects which have lots of weight & speed,
> but which would do no damage?

I think we could add a new parameter saying how much damage an object
deals in collisions, I'll look into it.

Ulf