[airstrike] two player mode now working

Ulf Ekström ulfek at ifm.liu.se
Tue Jun 8 08:44:51 EDT 2004

> Having both bi-plane and single plane + one of those odd ones which
> was really, really short (I can't remember it's model anymore) would be
> nice.  And flames on the side of the red baron's machine :-)).

Indeed! Everyone is welcome to make plane models, it's easy and fun.

> > maybe we can do
> >
> > spawn{
> > 	x = 34
> > 	y = 344
> > 	max_children = 8
> > 	delay = 10 # wait 10 seconds between spawnings
> > 	sprite{
> > 		type = zeppelin
> > 		..
> > 	}
> > }
>
> What about the trigger thing I mentioned earlier?  Would it be another
> parameter for spawn, or a separate thing completely?  In first case trigger
> keyword argument could be the triggering distance and delay could act as
> a rate limiter value.

maybe

trigger
{
	x = 23
	y = 343
	radius = 50
	spawn{ .. }
}

? But the we still have problems if we want to trigger only on some
sprite types..

> Btw. I could take that "max_children" to mean also how many there can be
> flying *at the same time*, not how many it actually generates of them.  For

This was how I ment it.

> that "count" might be more descriptive.  (actually I would like to have both
> behaviors :)))).

Of course :-)

> > >    - How to define them so that in settings file one can still give all
> > > the current options for the objects to generate?
> >
> > This is a bit of a problem..
>
> One possibility would be if the generator would keep the first generated
> (when level file is read) object, the sprite struct would have a new "clone"
> method (copy constructor if I still remember my C++ terminology :-)), and
> generator would then just clone the first copy when it generates a new
> object.

I don't like this so much, I would prefer that sprite_t is only for
"live" sprites. I'll see if I can find a better solution.

> > ai1 = player1_ai
> > ai2 = cpu_ai
> >
> > sprite{ type = biplane
> > 	ai = ai1
> > 	..
> > }
>
> What about player names and number of players?  Would there be always
> e.g. four players on screen and the rest would be computer players?

Depends on the level I guess. We could add a parameter nr_players to the
level section, and then the engine should set the ai's correspondingly, according
to what the user chooses in-game?

Ulf