[airstrike] New Airstrike snapshot / what remains to do?

Ulf Ekström ulfek at ifm.liu.se
Sun May 18 14:45:41 EDT 2003

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 03:31:02PM +0300, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Eero, and everybody else who is still around!

> I was wondering what kind of a release plan you have now?

Well, I'd really like to get something playable out the door.

Goal: A playable and fun(!) single player game (for the moment).

How to do that?

Two levels, one arctic and one tropical. Level file format can decribe
the levels good enough now I think, and we can write the levels by
hand for now.

We will still need to write some special code for each level, but
that's ok by me. The point of both levels is to deliver mail as fast
as possible. Short time gives points, missed mailboxes gives minus
points. Killing some enemies or flying through special places can give
bonus points. This can easily be done, Eero has made sprites for
mailboxes and mailbags. Bonus machines will be placed along the levels.

What is almost done?

Music [Jerker Hammarberg]. Will be released with final version.

Sounds [various]. We must choose and integrate sounds for both
levels. Anyone who has any penguin sounds?

Aerodynamics and physics [Ulf]

What needs to be done?

Background graphic elements [Ulf, Eero?]

Integrating the remaining sprites, programming polar bear and penguin
etc. [Eero, Ulf]

Some more level API. We need to be able to detect when the player flies
through certain places, and other ways to place triggers [Ulf]

Smarter AI pathfinding [Ulf]

"Glue": Tie everything else together and make the game playable. I'm
really bad at making this, so everyone that'd like to help is welcome.
Maybe a public CVS server would be a good idea? [Ulf, Eero?]

I'll try to send updates to the list a little more frequently..
Ulf