[airstrike] Anyone tried `Clonk' (windows)?

Ulf Ekström ulfek at ifm.liu.se
Tue Jan 21 05:30:58 EST 2003

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 08:03:59PM +0100, r. van putten wrote:
[..]
>  Is it necessary to use a bitmap as background? Sorry to keep
> referring to my game but I use an array with the size of the
> screenwidth to store my 'landscape height' and the landscape is a
> simple fill algorithm that interpolates between two colours which
> gives a nice effect. The only thing for me to do would be to resize
> the array and keep track of which part of the array is in sight. I
> don't know if this is an option for airstrike but I thought I should
> mention it.

It could be an option, but it's rather limitied in what you can do. For example
you cannot have caves and such if you only have a single height value for each x
coordinate. The color gradient is also a bit limiting, imo, but of course it would
be possible to replace it with a texture bitmap. That could be an option, but
I don't think it is necessary (50 times the current level size is pretty huge).
I'll have to think about it. Thanks for your tip.

Regards,
Ulf