[smpeg] Sim City 3000 Black screen

Chunky Kibbles chunky at icculus.org
Sun Mar 3 00:38:07 EST 2002

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 06:49:02PM +0100, Torbj?rn Andersson wrote:
> Chunky Kibbles <chunky at icculus.org> wrote:
>
> > When you load Sim City 3000, there's an intro movie, except that a
> > lot of people see it as just a black screen.
>
> I don't have Sim City 3000, but I know there have been trouble with MPEG
> movies going black in other games. Apparently the problem was related to
> the XVideo extension. If this is what's biting you, it may help to set
> the SDL_VIDEO_YUV_HWACCEL environment variable to 0.
>
> I was under the impression that this had been fixed in later versions of
> SDL, though, so I'm not sure why you would be seeing it in the
> dynamically linked version...

Well, that works... after a fashion...

It makes the static binary work fine, but incites the dynamic binary
to:

BUG! (Segmentation Fault)  Going down hard...
SimCity 3000 Unlimited 2.0.955a
Built with glibc-2.1 on x86
Stack dump:
{
        0x402d2928
}

It does that after a brief screen flash and the music begins, but then
immediately drops out of the ether.

Gary (-;