[sdlsound] New SDL_sound release

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Feb 22 15:22:24 EST 2012

Hi

Am 22.02.2012 um 18:33 schrieb Eric Wing:

> On 2/22/12, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
[...]

> Interesting. I still haven't had a chance to play with the Command
> Line Tools download. Any good summary links to what's in and what's
> out?
>
> PhysFS has a CMake build system. I wonder if it's time to start
> looking at one for SDL_sound.

I think that's rather orthogonal to the issue. For "end users" (i.e. developers using SDL_sound, not developing), it should not matter which one SDL_sound uses; and developers need to install either cmake or autoconf / automake, neither of which is much easier or harder to install (esp. when using Fink / MacPorts / Brew).

Anyway, if I may, I'd like to suggest that such a major move should be done *after* an SDL_sound 1.0.4 (or 1.0.3a) release. Just installing autoconf 2.68 and automake 1.11.1, then running "autoreconf" in the SDL_sound 1.0.3 dir, then bundling up the result would solve a lot of problems. No code changes required! Of course, it would be better if CoreAudio fixes and improvements etc. would also be included, so I'd prefer a proper new release.

But a build system is a major change, and sounds as if it would delay the release a lot -- considering that after 3 months, the above trivial release solution did not yet happen, this seems like a bad idea. (Mind you: I am not complaining, I know that doing an actual release is rather time consuming, even if it "seems" from the outside to be easy; and SDL_sound is probably just a hobby for everybody involved. Still, I think further delaying a fixup release would be bad indeed).

Cheers,
Max