[sdlsound] SMPEG

Eric Wing ewing2121 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 13:05:33 EST 2003

Sorry if this is late (I currently have limited
internet access).

If you're using other sound libraries other than SDL
with SDL_sound, after the Sound_Init() call, try doing
SDL_QuitSubsystem(SDL_INIT_AUDIO). I had to do this
hack to get SDL_sound to work with OpenAL for SMPEG
because I also had the SMPEG silence problem.
Disabling it for me reactivated SMPEG.

It seems that the SDL_InitSubsystem() call in
SDL_Sound is sort of a 'half-way to hell' scenario.
You either need to fully enable SDL audio yourself to
get SMPEG playback, or you need to fully
disable SDL audio and use your alternative audio
system.

Ryan, perhaps this should be removed from SDL_sound
unless there are other reasons to init the audio
system.
It seems reasonable to me that if a person intends to
use SDL_Audio, they should be responsible for calling
SDL_InitSubsystem() and SDL_OpenAudio() themselves and
it's no fault of SDL_sound if they don't.

Thanks,
Eric