[sdlsound] Smpeg problems, continued...

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Thu Mar 28 16:59:23 EST 2002

> Through experimentation, I've noticed that if I use the debug build of
> smpeg 0.4.4, it works fine;  but using the release build causes it to
> 'skip' during drumbeats etc..  It doesn't matter whether SDL_Sound is a
> debug or release build.  Could the problem be in smpeg itself, rather
> than SDL_Sound?  Is there any way to coax smpeg to output debug data as
> it decodes?

It's likely an SMPEG bug, then.

You can get playsound to dump playback to disk instead of the soundcard
with these environment variables set:

set SDL_AUDIODRIVER=disk
set SDL_DISKAUDIOFILE=outputfilename.raw
set SDL_DISKAUDIODELAY=0

That will get you post-mortem debugging of the decoded stream, but I don't
think SMPEG has any other debug chatter.

What is likely happening is that there's a variable that is overflowing or
there's a point where a signed integer is expected but Visual C uses an
unsigned, or vice-versa.

Is this SMPEG the latest from icculus.org's CVS, or was this a prebuilt DLL?

--ryan.