[sdlsound] Sound_seek()?

Torbjörn Andersson torbjorn.e.andersson at tietoenator.com
Wed Apr 17 02:49:07 EDT 2002

 > Unlike Sound_rewind(), there is more involved in seeking than just
 > having a RWops that can seek, and thus, some decoders may find it
 > hard/impossible to seek accurately or at all, but (assuming
 > Sound_Rewind() works) we can always fake it by decoding from the
 > stream and just throwing the decoded contents away until we get to the
 > byte position we want...this can be a potentially huge performance
 > cost, and I'm inclined to have such drivers report a failure to the
 > application, which should fully expect such a possibility.

Sounds reasonable. I could take a look at the decoders I'm responsible
for and see if it looks easy to add.

A few random questions:

Should Sound_seek() only allow absolute positioning, or should it be
analogous to fseek()'s SEEK_SET / SEEK_CUR / SEEK_END? (SEEK_END would
probably be pretty useless, right?)

Should the seek position be a sample count or a time?

Should there be a Sound_tell()?

Torbjörn
--
TietoEnator Resource Management AB