[quake3] Re: ioUrT licensing controversy (was Re: Greetings)

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Tue Apr 22 08:32:34 EDT 2008

On Dienstag, 22. April 2008, Robert Isaac wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 7:45 AM, Tim Angus <tim at ngus.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:17:55 +0200 Erik wrote:
> >  > Distributing 2 separate products together does not make it a single
> >  > product. See the 'aggregation' posts for more details. ioUrbanTerror
> >  > and Urban Terror are SEPARATE products, distributed together in an
> >  > aggregation.
> >
> >  Then you haven't understood aggregation.
>
> Then maybe you should explain it

"for operation only with the full version of the software game QUAKE III
ARENA"

Let alone the fact that ioUrT exists for download on the official
urbanterror.net page and is advertised on the official web page for running
with UrT is illegal. Strictly speaking, they maybe wouldn't even be allowed
to reference officially to ioquake3 as being capable to run the urban terror
mod.

> and while you are at it explain why
> it is acceptable to distribute license non-compatible assets in the
> same zip file but not vms.

The GPL only covers code, not game assets. And that is what I know Mr.
Stallman replied in response to a question about whether you can make money
off games at all if everything is open source, on some keynote, because I was
physically there.

Saying the game is "in theory" able to run other modifications is just
hypocritical. Timbo is right insofar, that setting the standard BASEGAME to
your own game directory while keep talking about that "separate products"
crap pretty much shows the intention this whole thing started off with:
Enable players without the original quake3 and cd key to play while not
wanting to fulfil the GPL.

Alas, the rights to the original mod code lies with id of course. Still, it is
very cheap of the Urban Terror developers to resort to this phrasemongering
bullshit to reap the benefits of open development work we do for ioquake3
while at the same time keeping their sources closed out of fear someone might
fork or change the gameplay in a way they don't want. Timbo is rightly angry,
and all of ioquake3's main developers share these sentiments.

--
Thilo Schulz