[quake3] Supported protocols

Mariusz Przybylski pay7n at o2.pl
Sun Apr 20 07:03:06 EDT 2008

Thilo Schulz pisze:
> To make one thing crystal clear: An older protocol version than the one of
> 1.32 is not and will never be supported by official ioquake3.

Going that way you are effectively cutting the second of two ways in
which ioq3 can be useful for actual Q3A gaming.
Those two ways are:
- develop multi-protocol support (at least most popular 1.16n)
or
- implement punkbuster to allow playing on 95% of 1.32 servers

Above two protocols are the most popular ones. I know punkbuster is
closed-source proprietary software, so 2nd way is a dead-end.

How about the first one? Reverse-engineer protocol 1.16 (which shouldn't
be that hard, cause packets aren't encrypted or compressed in any way)
and implement, by receiving server's proto version and switching to
matching network packets' parser on the fly. Or something like that :)

Thilo said this way is also out of interest. So may I ask you then, is
this project still a Q3A client or is it just a codebase for developing
standalone games ?

You should really take care of ioq3 wiki and make there some roadmap or
project goals cause I'm missing your point :>