[quake2] Quake2 on Kubuntu 11.10

Rick Knight rick_knight at rlknight.com
Thu Oct 20 23:26:07 EDT 2011

Just finished upgrading to Kubuntu 11.10 (from 10.10 and 11.04) and now
my Quake2 no longer works in GL modes. Software X11 mode works but
Software SDL, OpenGL GLX and SDL OpenGL do not. I get a seg fault and
this output...

LoadLibrary("./ref_glx.so")
rfx_gl version: GL 0.01
Using libGL.so for OpenGL...Initializing OpenGL display
...setting fullscreen mode 3: 640 480
Using XFree86-VidModeExtension Version 2.2
W: couldn't get an RGBA, DOUBLEBUFFER, DEPTH, STENCIL visual
E: couldn't get an RGBA, DOUBLEBUFFER, DEPTH visual
rfx_gl::R_SetMode() - invalid mode
Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 3: 640 480
Using XFree86-VidModeExtension Version 2.2
W: couldn't get an RGBA, DOUBLEBUFFER, DEPTH, STENCIL visual
E: couldn't get an RGBA, DOUBLEBUFFER, DEPTH visual
rfx_gl::R_SetMode() - could not revert to safe mode
rfx_gl::R_Init() - could not R_SetMode()
Received signal 11, exiting...
-> Red  1.300, Green  1.300, Blue  1.300
<- Red  1.000, Green  1.000, Blue  1.000

Quake2 worked very well under Kubuntu 10.10 and prior Kubuntu versions.

I have a P4 D Dual Core 3.4GHz
2 GB RAM
nVidia 8600GT 512 MB

Other games, Unreal: Return Na Pali for example, still work.
glxinfo shows frame rate of about 3500 (without a game running)

Can someone here tell me how to get this working?

Thanks,
Rick